‘Launch Your Year – Goal Setting for Success’ was a wonderful start to the Spence Club calendar of events for 2023.
The event kicked off with guest speaker Catherine Maynard who shared her professional expertise on goal setting for professional and personal success.
A proud Tanzanian Australian and has called Australia home 20 years ago, Catherine is a Marketing and Community Development Specialist with over 15 years experience collaborating and developing sustainable initiatives to build resilience of local communities in areas of Emergency Services (particularly in preparedness), settlement sector, community justice, child restraint, women and development, retail management, business and economic development youth mental health and employment support services.
Catherine is the Program Lead for the’ Here for the Game’ pilot project at the Alcohol and Drug Foundation. She is currently working with local sporting clubs in South Australia to develop policies and strategies to reduce gambling and sport betting harm in sports.
As part of her presentation Catherine asked us – is setting goals still important?
Our Key Takeaways are:
- Setting goals is still important – it gives you a sense of direction
- Develop smaller goals to achieve your bigger goal
- Clear on my values: Respect, Integrity, Collaboration, Courage
- My mindset - is any part of my mindset holding me back?
- Show up and be visible
- Network Network Network
- Be clear of your goals + values + strengths
- Be visible and do not be afraid to have a seat at the table
- Be strategic - who is your sponsor? Are you where you need to be?
- Be unapologetically - ‘YOU’ - know who you are and where you want to go
- Surround yourself with those that care, want you to thrive and challenge you
- Take care of your health and wellbeing
We introduced attendees to the new Spence Club Board will then shared our overarching theme for future Spence Club events for 2023.
The evening concluded with an icebreaker activity focusing on goal setting, where attendees were able to pair up and share some personal and professional goals for 2023. Attendees then had the opportunity to network with other professionals whilst enjoying supplied food and beverages.